- Bond between metal atoms which form positive ions by delocalising electrons
- This causes strong electrostatic attractions between the ions and the sea of electrons.
Properties of Giant Metallic Structures
- High MP & BP - Giant structure with many strong metallic bonds.
- Conducts electricity - Free moving electrons flowing through lattice can carry a charge.
- Metals ions with a greater combining power, such as Al3+ are better conductors due to there being more delocalised electrons
- Conducts heat
- Malleable - Regular structure in layers, which can slide over each other.
- Alloys (mixtures of metals) prevent layers sliding and make the metal more brittle.